WeChat news from around the web
- The Chinese Government Has Convinced Its Citizens That the U.S. Army Brought Coronavirus to Wuhan“Sadly most Chinese people really believe the U.S. brought the virus to China and they call it ‘USA virus,’” Lucy, a 45-year-old Chinese American who recently returned to China to take care of her parents, told VICE News.
- Jim Fruchterman raises $1.7M for Tech Matters, a new effort to help nonprofits do tech betterSocial entrepreneurship pioneer Jim Fruchterman has launched a new nonprofit, Tech Matters, with $1.7 million in backing from corporate and foundation sources, including Twilio, Okta, Working Capital, Facebook and Schmidt Futures. Tech Matters is Fruchterman’…
- A former Facebook diversity consultant is suing the company for $100 million, accusing it of discrimination (FB)A former diversity consultant for Facebook is suing the company for $100 million. Anastasia Boone Talton alleges she experienced discrimination based on race and disability at the company, as well as harassment. The lawsuit, seen by Business Insider, alleges …
- The UN is partnering with China’s biggest surveillance software companyIts collaboration with Tencent, whose flagship product WeChat has a near monopoly over the Chinese internet, raises security and privacy concerns.
- Chinese Americans Are Living Through the Same Pandemic TwiceThe lockdowns, equipment shortages, and overburdened hospitals feel all too familiar.
- China declared whistleblower doctor Li Wenliang a 'martyr' following a local campaign to silence him for speaking out about the coronavirusLi Wenliang sounded the alarm about the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan on December 30. He died of the virus on February 7.
- Coronavirus Hurting Fertility Clinics and Crushing Foreigners' Baby DreamsRestrictions on fertility procedures, coupled with a freeze on foreign travel due to the coronavirus, are drying up a bankable swath of the baby-making business... TMZ has learned. Right now, fresh or frozen embryo transfers, in vitro…
- Chinese-Americans, facing abuse, unite to aid hospitals in coronavirus battleThroughout New York and New Jersey, small groups from the Chinese American community are uniting to fight the pandemic in this country even as they face racist remarks and some physical attacks.
- Forget Sogou, Baidu Is a Better Chinese Tech StockStick with the market leader instead of the scrappy underdog.